How to Clean Wheels and Tyres
People might not think as much about regularly cleaning and maintaining the wheels and tyres of their truck fleet compared to the paint job or upholstery of their vehicles. But if you think about it, these are the vehicle parts that get the most battered day in and day out – whether you drive in the city or country, and are constantly exposed to brake dust, dirt, mud, and more.
Whilst tyres are meant to get dirty, it isn’t merely an issue of appearance that makes it necessary to clean them regularly, but also of preventive maintenance. Allowing brake dust to sit on wheels for too long can pit the metal and damage the coating.
It makes sense to regularly clean truck wheels and tyres to maintain their integrity. It’s important to choose the right cleaning product to do this, such as Triple7 Metallic Touch. Don’t let its name fool you – Triple7 Metallic Touch is a versatile vehicle wash that can be used to clean your truck from top to bottom. Its non-toxic and non-corrosive formulation is safe for use on a variety of surfaces including metals, duco, glass, stainless steel, rubbers, plastics, and more. This powerful cleaner easily and effectively cuts through dirt, grime, and brake dust whilst protecting the surface being cleaned.
Cleaning Materials Required:
- Bucket with water or hose
- Microfibre cloth
- Tyre brush/sponge
- Lug nut brush
- Triple7 Metallic Touch
Before You Start:
Washing the wheels and tyres of a truck before the rest of the vehicle is highly recommended to prevent over-spray from re-dirtying the freshly-washed truck. Wheels and tyres must also be cool prior to cleaning to prevent warping rotors, brake discs, etc.
It’s also important to completely clean each wheel before moving onto the next. Doing so will prevent the water and cleaning product from drying on the surface and leaving residue behind.
Directions for Washing Wheels and Tyres:
- Rinse the wheel thoroughly to remove loose dirt and brake dust.
- Spray Triple7 Metallic Touch on the wheel and leave for 10 minutes. The product can be used neat or diluted between 1:2 and 1:5.
- Depending on how long it’s been since the wheels have been washed and how much dirt has accumulated, it may be necessary to agitate the Triple7 Metallic Touch on the surface. Do this whilst the product is resting on the surface of the wheel, using a tyre brush or sponge to prevent scratching the surface. Make sure to try and reach into the corners, crevices and spokes of the wheel for thorough cleaning.
- Brake dust accumulates on the lug nuts so make sure to clean those as well.
- Rinse the wheel thoroughly to make sure that all the product is removed, along with the loosened contaminants.
- Repeat the same process on all the remaining wheels.
Once all the wheels of the truck have been washed, it is recommended that you wash the rest of the vehicle before drying the wheels as they will get wet again. Once you have washed and dried the entire truck, use a microfibre cloth to soak up and remove any remaining water on the wheels.
If you need advice on how to wash a truck exterior, feel free to read our guide here.