Free Call 1800 777 580
About Us Case Studies & More

Removing Health Risks and Offensive Odours of H2S Gas from Grease Traps
Park Hyatt Hotel

4th June 2013 | Hydrogen Sulphide, odour control, waste water

 

What Envirofluid acheived with the Park Hyatt Hotel partnership

With the help of Envirofluid, Park Hyatt Hotel eliminated odour from their waste water and grease traps, while ensuring the safety of their staff by removing the risk of poisoning from Hydrogen Sulphide gas.

Improving Lives

The elimination of odours which ensured the preservation of a pleasant working and staying atmosphere for workers and guests at the luxury hotel. In addition it improved and resulted in the more efficient function of the grease arrestor allows for faster and easier collection of fats, oils and greases, and maintenance areas are an odour free environment.

Improving Business

Using Triple7 Odour Control made for savings in labour and programmed maintenance. In addition to this, but harder to measure, is the preservation and protection of the hotels image and the luxurious experience enjoyed by guests.

Improving Innovation

The addition of bacterial enzymes to grease traps as previously used is like adding healthy organisms to a sick atmosphere, where they too succumb to the environment. Every waste water treatment system requires bacteria for effective function; however addition of bacteria is only ever a short term ‘Band-Aid’ solution. Triple7 Odour Control improves the capacity of the grease trap by assisting the bacteria that exist to function in a healthy environment.

 

& how we got there ...

 

The Situation: Waste Water Odour Issues

The Park Hyatt Hotel overlooks St Patricks Cathedral, the Fitzroy Gardens and other areas of Melbourne’s central business district, and is renowned for its luxury rooms and suites with walk in robes, Italian marble en-suites and open windows. The Radii Restaurant, Tea Lounge, day spa and event areas provide an elegant luxury experience.

Waste water from the restaurant and hotel complex kitchen areas flows to large grease traps which were not able to handle the constantly fluctuating waste water loads, and regularly emitted a toxic Hydrogen Sulphide or H2S smell. One of the grease traps was causing concerns weekly, and at times daily, and was a constant source of odour problems.

Addition of enzymes, in an attempt to control the odour, proved inadequate and the Park Hyatt sought a more reliable solution to keep the odour under control for the comfort of their workers and guests.

The Challenge

Provide an odour freee environment with a sustainable and ongoing solution which could be administered automatically regardless of fluctuating grease trap loads, and preserve the luxury image of the hotel.

The Hazards: Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S)

At times of overload, the grease traps would emit the typical ‘rotten egg’ smell that is often present around effluent treatment areas. This smell comes from a gas known as Hydrogen Sulphide, or H2S. In addition to this the grease traps had been difficult to clean due to odours, poor quality of captured grease trap waste, and confined spaces.

Health effects of H2S exposure

It is the health risks of H2S that is probably least realised and understood. Hydrogen Sulphide is both an irritant and a chemical asphyxiant, with effects on both oxygen utilisation and the central nervous system. Its health effects can vary depending on the level and duration of exposure.

Repeated or prolonged exposures at even low concentrations may cause eye inflammation, headache, fatigue, irritability, insomnia, digestive disturbances and weight loss.

High concentrations can cause shock, convulsions, inability to breathe, extremely rapid unconsciousness, coma and even death.

Hazardous properties of H2S gas

The primary route of exposure is inhalation and the gas is rapidly absorbed by the lungs. People can smell the “rotten egg” odour of hydrogen sulphide at low concentrations in air. However, with continuous low-level exposure, or at high concentrations, a person loses his/her ability to smell the gas even though it is still present (olfactory fatigue). This can happen very rapidly, and at high concentrations the ability to smell the gas can be lost instantaneously.

The Solution: Triple7 Odour Control

Envirofluid provided an automated dispensing system, which dosed small amounts of Triple7 Odour Control each day at regular intervals into the waste water drain entering the grease traps. This resulted in total odour elimination.

Triple7 Odour Control is a readily biodegradable, non-toxic and non-corrosive, plant based product, developed to neutralise H2S, strip waste water pipework of effluent build up, separate fats, oils and greases out of solution and cause suspended solids to separate from the waste water solution creating a ‘clean’ water discharge to the environment or waste water authority.

Triple7 Odour Control provides a healthy environment in which the bacteria can survive and propagate, and is free of ferric salts, magnesium chloride or typical chemical derivatives, enabling odour-related problems to be solved without hazardous additives. A well maintained compost bin does not smell; neither should a grease trap.